Sunday, August 1, 2010

Notably Ornate Antique Box

Did I mention how much I enjoy making boxes out of paper? I'm sure I have and this is no different. Remember my Monkey's box that I made for my friend? Well during the process of putting the measurements together, which were done in my head and not on paper, I realized after I put it together that I hadn't measured right. Needless to say after all the work of putting it together I now I had a box that was too small for what I needed it for. I put it off to the side and figured eventually I would need it for something or other. Well the something or other came up on Thursday. I decided to work with the blank canvas I had in front of me and this is what I came up with.



I think maybe I went a little crazy but it looks pretty old to me don't you think so too? I used the new Notably Ornate stamp set for this box. So the base of the box was made using Crumb Cake, for those of you who have been with Stampin' Up! for a long time, this is the new name for Kraft. I used Early Espresso and ran it through the Big Shot using the Perfect Details Texturz Plate (115962) Next I used our new Crochet Trim, this one is called Victoria (118481) to tie a bow in the upper right hand corner. The bow was just too plain so I found one of our new Early Espresso Designer Buttons from our new Neutrals collection (119743) and tied it up with some linen thread (104199). Of course I couldn't seem to stop there it seemed like it was still missing something. So then I decided I wanted to use some of our new Vintage Trinkets (118764) I used one of each of the colors of safety pins. Here is a closer view of what the finished section looks like:



Next I took some of our new Marina mist paper and gently started to crumple it up to break down the fibers so I could roll it up into a ball without actually tearing the paper. When I was satisfied with it I took the wadded up ball and rubbed it around first in Marina Mist classic ink and then rolled it around in some Night of Navy. What you can't see from the photo is how those colors were picked up by the paper. Only a little of it actually shows up in the final product. When I was done I unrolled the paper and flattened it up some by rolling it through the Big Shot. If you make the standard Big Shot sandwich, but without the paper inside you can put the paper on top and roll it through. It helps to flatten out whatever you're working on. In this case because the fibers were stretched out the paper had little ripples in the edges so it was perfect when I went back in to crumple it up along the edges of the paper. Then it came down to the corners and they were starting to open up so I decided to curl the top layer up into itself and curl the bottom layer down repeating the same process. Next I stamped the note paper stamp in Marina Mist, did a sort of rock and roll into Night of Navy and then very lightly rubbed Early Espresso around the edges and then stamped that onto Naturals Ivory paper. I love the Naturals line of paper because you can see all the tiny flecks of color in them. Next I took the Crumb Cake ink pad and rubbed it across the paper till I achieved the desired aged affect. I slowly tore along the edges to make it look worn and then rubbed them directly across the Early Espresso ink pad. It made it look almost as if the paper had been burned and this was all that was left.

Now for the bottom section I used the same rock and roll technique on the Take Note oval stamp from the set but omitted the step of adding Early Espresso to it. Next I rubbed Crumb Cake across the top to age it. Then I cut around the edge as close to the stamped image as possible and then used the Extra Large Oval punch to punch out a piece of Early Espresso then I matted the two together. It still didn't look finished though so then I took some of the Chantilly (118480) crochet trim and started to stick it to the back of of the oval creating a ruffled skirt around it. Now it looked done. This is a close up:



Lastly I wanted to add the bird from this fabulous stamp set to the project. The bird was rock and rolled in the same two colors and edged again in Early Espresso. I cut out the bird and then added one of the smaller of the new Basic Rhinestones (119246) for an eye. I popped it up and mounted it on the bottom left of the box like so:



Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed looking at this project, as much as i enjoyed creating it. I hope tonight I'll have the opportunity to post some more. Till then have a great day and Happy Stamping.

No comments: