Monday, August 16, 2010

Inspiration for swaps

So I have been looking around for inspiration for swaps. I'm not color challenged, I do love to play with color. Sometimes I'll use home decor as a way to find colors to put together when I am trying to come up with a project. For several months now I've been thinking of testing out a color combination that was inspired by a friend of ours. Their bathroom has this really distinct look to it. I love the walls in their deep mustard color and the towels in the brown and red that they use. I stored that combination in my head till recently.

I had to do a swap using a stamp set from our new catalog. Normally I would use stamps from multiple sets because there are so many that work well together, but this time around I chose to use a set that I absolutely love . It's called Notably Ornate (120561 Please note this is the product code for clear mount)

Here is what I came up with. Hope you enjoy.


As you can see I used a red, Cherry Cobbler to be exact. I have my brown in there as well, I went with Early Espresso for it's deep brown tones and of course I used More Mustard. I used the crumpled and color technique that I love to add more color to the paper. It also gives it a slightly more aged and worn look.

The note section of was stamped in Early Espresso onto Naturals Ivory paper. I just can't get enough of this paper. It looks like it was made from recycled fibers so you can see the natural spots throughout the paper. I then stenciled using the Elegant Trio stencil (118262) I love this stencil. This was the first time I've been able to use it, I sort of misplaced it for awhile. I sponged the entire stencil in More Mustard and then went around the edges and used Cherry Cobbler. This color is simply a must have. I am not a huge fan of reds, but this one is a very nice red to use. I tore the edges around the note stamp, distressed it some using the distressing tool, it comes with our Cutter Kit (106958) If you don't have one you could get by with using your nail to rough up the edges, though it won't give you the same look. Afterwards I took and rubbed the edges directly into the Early Espresso Ink pad to make the edges look almost as if they had been singed and this was all that was left of a larger document. I used the oval stamp from the set and stamped that into Early Espresso onto the Naturals Ivory then cut around the edge. I then punched out in Early Espresso the Extra Large Oval punch. I mounted the stamped part using Stampin' dimensionals to give it some pop and then took snail adhesive around the bottom of the Early Espresso oval so I could attach the Chantilly Crochet Trim (118480) Then I stamped in Cherry Cobbler with the Just Because stamp and stamped that onto Naturals Ivory. I punched it out using the Modern Label punch (119849) Then I sponged the edges with more mustard. That was placed over the center to cover up the lines on the oval stamp and I popped those up as well. To finish it off I used the flower punch from the Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack (118309) and pushed a vintage trinkets brad (118764) through the center. I pinched the edges of the brads back to the center and popped up using a mini glue dot (103683)

You would think I was stuck in a time warp right? Wait till I show you my next swap. I wanted to a Get Well card and thought of doing a slightly more masculine card. I'll post that one soon.

Hope you enjoy your day or evening, wherever you may be. Till next time. Happy Stamping.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

I saw this at Peggy's when she opened the box... woohoo it is pretty! Good job!
Charlotte

Leisel said...

I've been looking for a Stampin' Up Demonstrator out here in Falcon. I'd appreciate it if you would contact me. You should be able to send me an email by clicking on my name, and then on the email link on my profile page.

Thanks bunches!