Thursday, October 20, 2011

It's Craft Show time


So it's the big time of the year for me where I like to participate in a few craft shows in my local community. Mostly it's to get out of the house and meet new people, sell off some of my retired stamp sets as well as a few hand made items. My next big event is this Friday and Saturday at the Falcon Craft Show to benefit Helping Hands.
I've been busy working like mad to get projects done. My favorite part about all of this is that it really helps me to get rid of my retired DSP's from the year before. I'm a hoarder and I will admit that sometimes I get a little carried away with all the beautiful coordinating papers that we have to offer in addition to all of our lovely card stocks.
This year I decided to also try to use up some of my retired ribbons. So I'm offering several really cute projects most of them are using up retired products but I don't think that will really matter all that much. With the help of my good friend Monica, we are cranking out some great items that we'll have up for sale this weekend. I'll be sure to take pictures of all the little lovelies that we'll have on display after it's all set up. I won't leave you hanging though. Here are two of my favorite goodies so far.
Though they have been trying to promote this event as a Christmas themed craft fair I always take things for Halloween and for Thanksgiving if possible, as well as for Christmas. Over the years I find that I don't sell my Christmas items as well as I do for those items made for Thanksgiving and Halloween. I think it's because most people still aren't ready for Christmas at the time.

This first one uses the lattice die and I cut 2 and layered them over each other to create the background. I used paper from last year that came out in the Idea Book and Catalog. It had flocked bats on it and was colored in rich razzleberry. When you think of halloween this might not be the first color that comes to mind, but it really works. I stamped the owl on the tree from the House of Haunts (111574) stamp set. Would you believe this stamp set had never been inked till this year? What was I thinking? I love it. I masked off the moon behind the owl using a sticky note punched out with the 3/4" circle punch and sponged over it using rich razzleberry. The last bit of embellishment comes from our new dazzling details (124117) If you love the way glitter, especially dazzling diamonds looks, but don't like having it get all over you then this is the right product for you. Think glitter glue but with dazzling diamonds in it. It is one of my new favorite embellishments to use on any project that needs a little extra something. After everything dried I applied a coat of shimmer mist that had been mixed with both Frost White (116854) and Champagne Mist (11806) shimmer paint and alcohol mix. I was inspired by my great friend and upline Kimberly.

This second one I made using up the last bit of Only Orange card stock that I managed to have lying around. Okay the truth is somehow I managed to mix up my only orange card stock with my pumpkin pie card stock. Only Orange was retired during at the end of the 2009 Stampin' Up! calendar year. I realized my mistake too late and I don't have any pumpkin pie on hand at all. Yikes! The only orange worked in a pinch and I also did some using cajun craze. So first for the pumpkins I cut them out using the scallop circle die (113486) I cut off the bottoms of the front and the back and embossed both sides with the spider web (120889) embossing folder. Each side was sponged in basic black. I used the box #2 die  (114518) for the inside of this lovely pumpkin candy holder. I can't believe how much I use this die. The top part gets cut off so I usually try to cut my paper smaller so there is less waste of good card stock. 

If you notice in the picture my spider is missing a set of legs. I forgot the last two legs in the first place and my 14 year old daughter kindly pointed it out to me. The finished versions have 8 legs. To make the spider I punched out two circles, one with the 1" circle punch and the other with the 3/4" circle punch. I used my favorite googlie eyes. The legs were made by punching out the scallop trim border and using segments of 3 each and 2 for the last set of legs that go right in the front on the finished versions. I used half of the banner found on the cone die and cut them in half after stamping Happy Halloween on them from the teeny tiny wishes set. It's meant to look like a pumpkin purse so that is where there is a satin old olive handle on the sides. After everything was done the front and back panels were spritzed with shimmer mist just to give it an overall finished look with just a little bit of sparkle.

Come back again soon when I share more of the cute little goodies we'll be stocking our booth with. If you're in the Falcon or Colorado Springs area come on over to the Pikes Peak Learning Center out in Falcon and stop by our booth. We'd love for you to come on over and say hello. 

Till next time, Happy Stamping!

No comments: